LA News Release, "Stub out this Evil 'Charity'" (June 2004)
NEWS RELEASE FROM THE LIBERTARIAN ALLIANCE
In Association with the Libertarian International
Release Date: 3 June 2004
Release Time: Immediate
Contact Details: Sean Gabb, 07956 472 199, email@example.com
Chris R. Tame, 07957 644 519, firstname.lastname@example.org
"STUB OUT THIS EVIL 'CHARITY': CUT OFF ALL PUBLIC FUNDING TO ACTION ON SMOKING AND HEALTH", SAYS FREE MARKET AND CIVIL LIBERTIES THINK TANK
Today's call by Action on Smoking and Health (ASH) to ban research on new flavourings in cigarettes is an attack on freedom of choice, says the Libertarian Alliance, the radical free market and civil liberties think tank and pressure group.
Libertarian Alliance Director of Communications, Dr Sean Gabb commented:
"ASH is a sinister bunch of self-appointed health fascists that would not exist without various kinds of funding from our tax money. This funding should be immediately removed. Indeed, all charitable status should be removed from ASH. It is a corruption of language to associate the word charity with a group that exists only to destroy the freedom on choice from which true charity proceeds.
"We celebrate the enterprise and initiative of British American Tobacco for its efforts to include chocolate and vanilla and alcoholic flavourings to its products. This will offer a wider choice to all smokers. The Libertarian Alliance sends its best wishes to the directors of this great transatlantic company."
The Libertarian Alliance advocates the following with regard to tobacco:
- No controls of any kind on the marketing of tobacco products to adults;
- No controls by law on the use of tobacco products in places of public resort;
- Reform of the tort laws to relieve tobacco manufacturers - and indeed all business - from frivolous law suits for compensation;
- At least substantial reductions in excise duty on tobacco products;
- The cutting off of all tax-payer funding for any group that disagrees with the above.
END OF COPY